Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ooooh Golly - it's Ugali!

This morning we left behind the Land Rover and walked to Chebunge. So, it's pretty clear I am not a marathon runner and the elevation is a bit of a challenge. We are staying at about 7500 feet elevation. That's just a bit higher than Newberg, Oregon. Like 7400 feet higher. However, I think I felt for a moment the euphoria that marathoners hit when they push through the pain in running...only it was when I could see the church ahead - YES, we are almost there. :) The walk was very beautiful when I could pay attention to the landscape and not where I was walking.

We arrived to a surprise. When we left yesterday afternoon - we had completed 3 benches. There were several pieces to put together other benches ready - just not assembled. We walked into the church to find 7 more benches framed and ready for the slats on the seats and the backs. It was like elves had come in while we were away. We have found that people in the church love being a part of this project. It is fun to walk along side them on their journey.

There were many children curious about the wazunga today. They were afraid of us at first - but warmed up to playing games, singing songs, playing chase and giggling with and at us. They were the delight of us all. There is one little girl that had the cutest laugh. I wished so much to record it and bring home for my brothers to hear since they tease me all the time about my laugh.

Near lunch time, one of the men came into the church looking for me. He said someone outside was looking for me - and then sent me to the kitchen. I knew I was in trouble. Regina, one of my new friends promised me I would be making lunch today for the group - it was my day to make ugali. I thought she was teasing - and she was really inviting me into her world. So, I sat down at the open fire with a large wooden spoon to stir the combination of corn flour and millet in the boiling water. They invited all of the women to join them in the kitchen to help. What I learned is that I have weak upper body strength and these women are super strong. It's like stirring Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Cereal, enough to serve 15-20 at once. Think paddling through a river of thickening lava.

The meal was terrific. The traditional way of eating ugali is to make a ball with your hands out of the ugali and then form a spoon and pick up the cooked vegetables. Hey, less dishes to wash this way. The meal was terrific and such a blessing as many hands and homes provided this nutritions meal for all of the workers.

We completed the 10 benches today and ended the afternoon with a youth meeting at the church. Many of the youth are actually in boarding school - so there were a few youth, along with the curious children and some of the workers from the village. Note to self: whenever you travel to another country, be prepared to share a story, a song, or several songs, and testimony. You never know when you will be called on.

Thanks to my son Mark who give me an illustration about the value of a few good friends before I left home for Kenya. The less is, it's important to have good friends who will hold us accountable to make good decisions when me may be tempted to take a short cut or simply a bad decision. Jesus is the perfect friend - we just need to listen to Him closely. He is not far away - just a prayer and he is there.

We ended the afternoon with Chai and prayer and then headed back to the Stanfield's home. We walked up the path to purchase a few things to take on our home visits next week. It's appropriate to bring gifts to homes we are invited to. Gifts of sugar and tea are considered very special. We are all looking forward to being invited into homes next week.

Tomorrow we head to church for the first service with these benches. I am curious how many people will be there. They say about 60-70 people normally attend services on Sunday. We joke about how many people will be able to sit on the new benches. Americans - about 6 and Kenyans, maybe 10-12. That has less to do with our size and everything to do with personal space. So - I will have to report on this tomorrow.

Blessings to you all - we have loves hearing your comments and hearing from you by email. Keeps the notes coming, it helps us to feel closer to home.

Love and Peace, Nancy

ps - PMT and A - kisses for you each and big hugs from Kenya. Surprises for each of you await!! Can hardly wait to show you pictures and tell you more stories of God's great blessings and provision. You are deep in my heart and I tell everyone about you! xoxoxoxo Mom

3 comments:

  1. Adam posted the blog address or whatever on facebook. I'll be sure and thank him. It sounds like your experiences have been WONDERFUL. We'll pray for you. Sam and I are the sermon on Sunday the 2nd October. Pray we help all understand the joys of ministering in Kenya. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you all made it safe. Have a safe a peaceful journey. Charma, the girls miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my comment that I made about one of your members having a new name did not come through. I just want to be sure you get it. I really like Cooky's new name! Sharon Carroll

    ReplyDelete