Monday, September 28, 2009

In the village of Swahililand

This morning, the fundi's were back - the carpenters. They were able to get several pieces of the benches prepared for us before we arrived. I believe that Joel, who walks over an hour each day to the church, arrived by 6am this morning to get ahead of us on the prep work. It's been interesting to work with him. I am not sure he knows the love of Jesus - but he is working really hard on his english, and working really hard for the Chebunge church. He was hired to work, but I think he is beginning to love the fellowship of new friends, both Kenyans and Americans.

We completed 5 more benches today. We are about 1/2 way done with this project. After our work and a comforting lunch of mashed potatoes, ugali, chipati, meat and bananas - we headed out to our home visits. The intent of the afternoon was to visit some of the more poor in the area - take time to pray with them, visit in their homes and take them a small gift. (Each of the two families we planned to see received sugar, matches, soap, tea and salt.)

I was so moved today - it's hard for me to even put words to my thoughts. The first family we visited was a single woman with 4 kids - which included 19 year old twin daughters. There seem to be many twins here in Kenya. I always make a connection, as ours are now 16. The momma invited us into her mud hut and offered us seats in her home. She had a bench for 3, a sack for one other and a solid floor for the rest of us. She received her gifts with grace and gratitude. I think I personally brought more belonging to Kenya for my 3 week trip than she had as her life's possessions. I was incredibly humbled. The church has given her a cow, that now has a calf - which has been a great help. Her son, who is now 12, lives out in his own much smaller mud hut. Once a boy has been circumcised, he cannot live under the same roof as his mom. Most boys are circumcised by age 12.

We added many home visits along the way - as we were a bit of an oddity in the very poor part of the world. Children followed us everywhere. Our final stop was to the home of Zadie. Her husband was off working. They have 5 children at home. The cook, eat, sleep and entertain everyone in a space smaller than our kitchen. Zadie cooks over an open fire. She invited 10 of us into her home for chai this afternoon. When we gave her the gift - she divided it into three smaller gifts to share with her mother in law and another family that lived close by. I was greatly humbled by her gesture - as the gift was intended for her. There was no question, it would be shared. (She lived out what Jeff preached about yesterday - give out of what you have, no matter the circumstances.)

As we took the long hike back up the hill, along the river and home to Tenwek, I kept wondering what I am supposed to do with the information I have now. I could hardly talk along the way - knowing that God put me here this very day on purpose. It would be easy to say - give money, send more money. Adopt children, bring them to the US for care and opportunity. However, I know this isn't the right answer. Sure, money will help and support for the work here is imperative. However, it makes more sense to "teach to fish than to give a fish." So - how do I get involved in the teaching? Still working on that one.

I guess today I am most challenged to live more simply, show gratitude more frequently, pray more fervently and listen more intently. The people we met today have within them souls that need care and love. They have children that need food, education and hope for the future. How will you get involved with those in your own community? Being born in America is a complete gift - we have no idea. We have opportunities that we push away out of inconvenience or laziness. So - what do I do? What do we do?

Yet to be determined, and with love,
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. These stories of your adventures there have inspired me to do new things. I am in this place here in Beaverton and I have been asked to serve on the board of directors of my homeowners association. Since I am the only board member at home most of the time, I have become the "go to" person whenever any homeowner has a problem. Some of the problems are easily resolved and others are not but often I hear the anger and angst of my neighbors over their concerns. I have made a concious decision this last week to do this work as unto the Lord. My neighbors will not see my frustration because I will be more aware of the Christ who lives within me and want my neighbors to see Him also! Many of my neighbors otherwise would not know Him. So this is where I am planted for this time.

    I understand your questions, Nancy. Lean on your master and he will give you what you need. Blessings to all of you. Mom Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds amazing!! I think your words will be my new refridgerator quotable, "Live more simply,show gratitude more frequently,pray more fervently, listen more intently" Good words, Nancy. I will keep praying for you all.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it we have to go so far away to be awakened by what He provides? I am humbled by all you do Nancy. For over 25 years I have seen how He has worked in you and what you became from your first trip "home". I'm not jealous of this but grateful that God has put you in this capacity and allowed you to reach out to so many at home, work, your friends , and your family. Continue your journey and ask for His guidance in your next move. He might not give you the easiest answer but he will provide as uo teach others to fish. Missing you but Loving how He is working in you!
    ~Rufus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    It is humbling to see how little most people in the world have compared to "us" in the "U.S"....Hmmm, interesting that our acronym even spells "us".

    I love you and am praying for you,
    Janell

    ReplyDelete