Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tenwek for the Day

Today was planned to hang around Tenwek and work on projects at the hospital with a little more time to rest in the afternoon. Amanda, Paula and LeRoy painted the Tenwek logo on hospital linens. It was a messy job - painting with sticks - but they got it done. The towels were from all over the world - I would suppose donated from a variety of places. They also marked the surgery drapes with "OR" not "TH." Charma and Corky folded gauze for bandages. They finally figured out they weren't the only ones who spoke english. They were able to fold 1,000 pieces with their team. One of the women they were working with has been working at the hospital since she was 10 years old. She is now 35.

While the team was out, Regina stayed at home and make special corn chips - out of Ugali. I guess they were yummy - I am sticking with toast for now. This afternoon - Amanda got her hair done. Her hair braided looks a little different than the nationals - I think it's because she is so much lighter - maybe. She says it feels like a giant spider on her head.

Paula was able to find some yarn in the village - much thinner than was used on the dolls she brought. Regina would like to learn how to make them, so Paula is now sitting by the fire rolling yarn.

Corky is feeling better and able to keep down lunch and dinner today. LeRoy is still weak but eating. I have been running a fever, but know this too shall pass. I can now identify the footsteps walking up the stairs and I am learning the different calls from the pigeon's out my window.

Tomorrow the plan is to go back to Chebunge to work on benches. We will see who is up to it. We are so grateful for your prayers on our journey - in only a week, we will be home. I look forward to seeing my sweetheart and our boys very much.

Blessed to be alive,
Nancy

ps - Charma sends out special love to Todd, Jayme, Dagny and Camryn, Anita, Ron and Sue, Rhonda and Stacey - Perry's gone hunting...

Special Shout out to my neices and nephew - Dallas, Elodee, Sophia and Ghent - I'm still your auntie!!!

We love to read your comments - they are a great word from home and we are all encouraged by reading them - so if you're reading - let us know!

4 comments:

  1. Nancy - thanks for the great blogging - I'm praying for your health and for the rest of the team - You guys are "SUPER STARS" and it warmed my heart to know you're playing "the game".
    Big love - Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prayers continue for your healing and strength. I take comfort knowing tht you have a nurse looking after you. I am confident that you will be well soon. No More Sick!!

    We are having our first real days of fall with lots of rain this week. It is much cooler and I am glad for the cool air. It is hard on our painters but they are keeping at it and will eventually get this job done.
    Paul said that Andrew has a little fever today too so I think he just wants to be home with his mama :>) All is well on the home front and we look forward to your return to our very blessed land. Love you,,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your journey.Hope you feel better very soon!!!You are very good at communicating your experiences,good and bad.
    Love,Becky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my friend! I was very moved reading about your experiences. So important to take ourselves out of the picture and do God's work. You've inspired me to do something, not sure what it is yet, but something for others that I have not been doing. I'm praying for your health, I know it must be frustrating for you to be sitting out. Just know that a small amount of time to recuperate in the grand scheme of things is minor! I love you so much and am so very proud of you!

    Your Super Fantastic Lisa!

    ReplyDelete